Mitsubishi Ohyubari Railway (1911-1987)
A 17.7Km long non-electrified railway line serving the Ohyubari coal mines in central Hokkaido.
Owned by the Mitsubishi conglomerate, it was closed in 1987.
Towada Kanko Electric Railway – (1922-2012)
A rural railway wich operated a 15 Km-long, single-tracked line electrified at 1500V connecting Misawa to Towadashi (Towada City) in eastern Aomori prefecture.
It closed in 2012 due to a severe decline in ridership.
Kosaka Smelting and Refining Co. (1989-2009)
A 22.3 Km-long, non-electrified industrial railway line in inner Akita Prefecture, wich connected Odate station on the Ou Mainline with an chemical plant in Kosaka.
Traffic was composed essentially of tanker trains (sometimes even triple-headed) carrying sulphuric acid to the Kosaka plant, where it was smelt and refined, hence the name of the company. The line was closed in 2009 due to the deterioration of the infrastructure and the introduction of more stringent regulations on sulphuric acid transportation.
Kashima Railway (1924-2007)
A 27km-long non-electrified railway line in Ibaraki Prefecture connecting Ishioka to Hokota, closed in 2007 due to the opening of the nearby (and far faster) Tsukuba Express railway.
(Note that this railway is not related in any way to the similar-named and still operating Kashima Rinkai Railway)
Takachiho Railway (1988-2005)
Operated the 50.0Km-long non-electrified Takachiho Line, a branch of the Nippo Main Line, wich the company had inherited from JNR. The line was severely damaged by flooding caused by the Typhoon Nabi on the 9th of September 2005, with two bridges being washed away, effectively isolating the line from the rest of the network.
Due to the tremendous amount of work and money needed to resume operations, wich wasn’t justified by the line’s feeble ridership, the railway officially closed on the 20th of December 2006.